Not to put any pressure on, but only 6 more weeks until Halloween! I don’t think Kyle and I planned as well as we could have…somehow we ended up with two birthdays and Halloween all in the same week! That makes for one VERY exciting week around here, and one very busy mom. :) I’m trying to be better prepared this year though, and at least have the costumes figured out early. Woody and Jessie have a plethora of costumes, thanks to the Dress Up Box, but we’re a little light on baby costumes around here. Do you have any idea how expensive baby costumes are? Even used ones are $20! For 2 hours of fun on one night a year that he won’t even remember…
I started looking around for an alternative and saw this cute idea for a DIY Sock Monkey costume here and decided to try it. She was a little more “professional” with hers, actually using a pattern for PJs. This is my “down-and-dirty-done-in-an-afternoon” version. You have to take into consideration that I am a s-l-o-w seamstress, not to mention, a little person interrupts approximately every 3 1/2 minutes. A normal person could do this in less than an hour, I’m sure.
I started with three men’s sweaters from the thrift store, total cost $10. I purposely chose the gray sweater to have a zipper, which then eliminated the need for me to sew one in down the road.
I laid out a current pair of PJs right on top of the gray sweater, and just cut around it, leaving everything from the neck to the arm cuff in tact.
I was left with this. I just flipped it inside-out and sewed three seams. From each arm cuff in and then down each leg, and then a u-shaped seem between the legs. The giant man-sized zipper in front made the perfect closure, so like I said before, I didn’t have to put one in.
Next I took the white sweater and cut two strips from each arm. These would turn into the hands and feet, but were way too wide left as is.
I just made a quick seem down the middle to narrow each one.
Then pinned each one to the sleeves and legs and attached. Nothing pretty here, it’s for two hours of fun on one night of the year that he won’t remember. :)
After they were attached, I shaped the excess and sewed it closed. Bodysuit done!
For the hat, I didn’t want to bother with finishing edges, so I just used the hem of the shirt to be the hem for the hat. I cut the two pieces directly from the bottom of the shirt. This is all freehand, no need for patterns. It’s for two hours of fun on one night of the year that he won’t even remember.
For the ears, I sketched a pattern on paper (so that they would be roughly symmetrical) and then cut four pieces from the remainder of the gray sweater.
I cut the sleeve of the red sweater into a few strips for “hair”, pinned everything together and sewed around the edge to close it up. Voila! Hat done!
For the scarf, I cut the bottom three inches off the read sweater, and just looped it around his neck, again letting the hem of the original sweater be the hem of the scarf.
And that was it! So simple. I am now the proud owner of the most cuddly sock monkey on the planet! And we are ready to enjoy the two hours of fun on one night of the year, that he will OF COURSE remember, at least via pictures.